Thursday, January 11, 2007

No HDMI For Our Current Xboxes?

In other Microsoft Love news...



I just returned from Las Vegas and CES, jet-lagged and exhausted and needing to file copious stories for my day job. Which means that I'll have something interesting from the show for you soon, but not yet.



In the meantime, join me in freaking out about this news, which suggests that Microsoft may be planning to fix the pending lack-of-HDMI crunch with... a new Xbox model for us to buy.







Sonofabitch! Note that without HDMI (or DVI) on an Xbox 360, we'll (evidently) be unable to play digital 1080p content and copy-locked HD-DVDs, which require those sorts of connections because they support the HDCP copy protection standard. I hope, hope, hope that Microsoft figures out a way to add HDMI and HDCP support to current 360s, rather than forcing us to buy new ones.



Of course, this isn't a real problem at the present, considering that HD-DVD copy protection has yet to be activated, and that only a tiny percentage of users have 1080p displays. It still pisses me off though, irrational though my anger might be.

No comments: